Finding Females in US Naturalization Records, 1790-1945
- Presenter: Nancy E. Loe
- Date: Tuesday, March 21, 2023
- Time: 7:00 PM Central
- Webinar Description: Whether you’re missing a naturalization record or finding an unexpected one, this session helps you discover how female ancestors — both foreign-born and birthright — gained, lost, or regained citizenship in the United States between 1790 and 1945.
US citizenship and attendant rights for women could be fragile, depending on marital status, prevailing laws, social norms, and other shifting factors.
Examples of US naturalization and citizenship records, and search strategies for finding these records are featured in this presentation.
Why Was Grandma So Mean?
- Presenter: Jennifer Holik
- Date: Tuesday, February 21, 2023
- Webinar Description: Why was grandma so mean? Why was grandpa so sad or angry? Why did aunt Alice avoid the family when babies or small children were around? These are questions we think but do not always ask out loud. The time to break the silence is now. There are always more than two sides to every family story. Do you ever wonder what influenced the beliefs, behaviors, & patterns of our ancestors?
We will look at our stories, genealogy & military documents to identify personal, family, and historical events that may have shaped the behaviors and attitudes of your ancestors. I will share tools & questions to help you explore your ancestors lives & what shaped their behaviors. We will also explore how their unhealed trauma, family patterns and behaviors were passed down through the generations.
10 Common Lineage Society Application Mistakes - and How to Avoid Them
- Presenter: Bryna O'Sullivan
- Date: Tuesday, January 17, 2023
- Webinar Description: Whether your grandmother was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution or you’re looking to document a new line to the Mayflower, some common issues can down the application process. This presentation will introduce the most common mistakes made by applicants and explain how to effectively avoid them. This program opens with a brief overview of lineage societies and lineage society terminology. It next moves through the application process, discussing common mistakes made at each step and how to avoid them. It will touch on everything from the lineage society definition of “proof” to why highlighters cannot be used